This page covers Advantages, Disadvantages of Internet of Things (IoT).
As we know IoT is the network of things and people who communicate to one another using various wireless and wired technologies for various reasons. In IoT, no one technology is involved but it consists of multiple technologies.
Advantages of IoT
Following are the advantages of IoT (Internet of Things):
- IoT network benefits not one but all i.e. individuals, society, stake holders of businesses etc. due to the fact that IoT network saves time and money. IoT systems delivers faster and accurately with minimum utilization of energy. This improves quality of life.
- It is used for patient monitoring i.e. various types of wireless sensors are installed on the patient body which communicate with the IoT network and provides all the required information of the patient under treatment.
- IoT concept is used in home security devices which are monitored and controlled either locally or remotely using easy to use applications available on mobile phones or smartphones. Typical IoT devices are security alarm, Camera, sensors, door lock etc. are used in home automation environment.
- IoT is used in asset and individual tracking, inventory control, energy conservation, shipping etc.
- It is similar to M2M but it has applications beyond M2M. M2M is used only for machine to machine communication. In IoT, things communicate themselves to its owner indicating its location and conditions.
Disadvantages of IoT
Following are the disadvantages of IoT:
- As IoT is managed and run by multiple technologies; multiple vendors are involved in it. Due to this fact, privacy is a concern. Security algorithms and certain precautions by the users will help avoid any security related threats in IoT network.
- Implementation of IoT leads to loss of jobs for unskilled employees who do not cope with latest trends in hardware and software arena. This can happen in jobs related with inventory control and automated machines such as ATM/check-in check-out machines.
- The IoT consists of multiple technologies whose architectures are different than one another. This makes IoT network a very complex system. Due to this fact, failure in the IoT network may lead to more time for restoration of the service to consumers. This may require skilled workers requiring knowledge of multiple technologies. Hence IoT service provider should pay high to hire and retain such employees.
- As there are multiple vendor devices involved in the IoT network, it requires interoperability tests to be conducted before launching the IoT system for use. This will incur costs on the IoT device manufacturers and network service providers.
- It will take some time for IoT system to become completely stable as there are new and upcoming standards being integrated in the IoT system. Common IoT architecture will help in this regard.
Although IoT has quite a few disadvantages, its advantages of saving the consumer time and money can’t be ignored. So the time isn’t far when the Internet Of Things will be commonly seen in both households and companies. Efforts will have to be made to find ways to combat its disadvantages.
Please contact E-SPIN for various IoT monitoring and security solution.