As edge computing goes mainstream, it provides a major strategic benefit for a wide range of industries. Here are five ways edge computing will transform businesses in the near future:
- Lowering IoT solution costs: Edge computing allows you to process and analyze mission critical data closer to the device itself, reducing the amount of data that flows back and forth between the cloud and the edge of the network. Businesses can select which services run at the edge and what data gets sent to the cloud, lowering IoT solution costs and obtaining the most value from their overall IoT solution.
- Added security and compliance: Edge computing helps to address the security and compliance
requirements that have prevented some industries from using the cloud. With edge computing, companies can filter out sensitive personally identifiable information and process it locally, sending the non-sensitive information to the cloud for further processing.
- Faster response times: Without a round-trip to the cloud, data latency is reduced, lowering
the time it takes to glean actionable insights from that data. In this way, edge computing is poised to help autonomous vehicles avoid collisions, stop factory operations before equipment fails—and improve any situation requiring the instantaneous analysis of data.
- Dependable operation even with intermittent connectivity: Edge computing enables manufacturing
equipment and other smart devices to operate without disruption even when they’re offline or Internet connectivity is intermittent. This makes it an ideal computing model for businesses that count on the ability to quickly analyze data in remote locations such as ships, airplanes, and rural areas—for instance, detecting equipment failures even when it’s not connected to the cloud.
- Interoperability between new and legacy devices: Edge computing converts the communication protocols used by legacy devices into a language that modern smart devices and the cloud can understand,
making it easier to connect legacy industrial equipment with modern IoT platforms. As a result, businesses can get started with IoT without investing in expensive new equipment—and immediately capture advanced insights across their operations.
Feel free to contact E-SPIN for Edge computing availability, performance and security monitoring, testing and protection solution.
To know more about Cloud Computing, please click on the link below: