What is Approov?
Approov is a comprehensive run-time security solution for mobile apps and their APIs, unified across Android, iOS, and HarmonyOS.
Approov offers six key approaches to secure mobile apps;
1. App Attestation
App Attestation is a runtime technique used to give proof that an app is truly authentic and running in a trusted device. This approach makes application to be more difficult to be exploited by the attackers. The Approov’s app attestation approach give several benefits including cloud-based security that enhances security and flexibility, cryptographic security and optional platform attestation integration for better security.
2. Runtime Secrets Protection
Runtime Secrets represents an innovative technology that enables API keys and other secrets to be completely removed from the app package shipped to the app store as secrets are securely delivered to valid app instances at runtime. Subsequently, Approov eliminates secrets, thus enhances security posture and operational flexibility.
3. Real time threat intelligence
Real Time Threat Intelligence offers a live feed of information from running apps and the attacks they are facing in the field. Real time threat intelligence enables Approov to give instant update, view live Operational Information and understand the threats and attacks in their applications.
4. API Security
Advanced API Protection enables endpoints to be locked down to ensure that they will only respond to the official app, running in trusted environments. Through this approach, Approov offers numerous benefits including token based security with automatic renewal, block all form of API abuse and simple backed integration.
5. Dynamic Certificate Pinning
Dynamic Certificate Pinning is a technique that ensure mobile app only communicates with a trusted server whose digital certificate matches a predefined set of certificates. It blocks Man-in-the-Middle (MitM) attacks and enables secure over-the-air instant pin updates without service disruptions.
6. App Shielding is a set of technologies that allows Approov to detect unsafe operation environments on the client device. Through app shielding, Approov improves security by protecting your device from hacking, banning hacking tools and frameworks as well as blocking apps running on jailbroken or rooted devices. Approov has a wide range of tools to detect reverse engineering and hacking attacks. Those includes detecting Frida, Xposed, Cydia and many more. For further protection, Approov controls the kind of devices to run the app, including banning of simulator and emulator.
How Approov protects your revenue?
Approov involves three steps in ensuring your own mobile apps running in safe environments as well as communicating over secured connection. The steps are:
- Identify – For identification, the user’s mobile app automatically connects to Approov’s cloud service.
- Verify: Each app possesses a unique identity and characteristics of the runtime environment. After Approov verifies this identity, authenticating its genuineness, its security requirements are met, and secure communication is enabled.
- Certify: Approov provides either a short-lived token or runtime secrets to the verified apps, certifying their access to protected API services.
E-SPIN Group in the enterprise ICT solution supply, consultancy, project management, training and maintenance for corporation and government agencies did business across the region and via the channel. Please Feel free to contact E-SPIN for your inquiries regarding Approov and related product as well as other project requirement and inquiry.