To answer the question it is good to give user complete understanding what it is and different from enterprise edition, for multiple server and large concurrent users scenario and context.
What is RecordTS Single Server Edition?
- RecordTS Single Server Edition is a remote session recorder for Windows Terminal Services. It is a complete out-of-the-box, stand-alone software product that installs all the necessary software components onto one machine. It is intended for single-server installations only scenario and context.
- NOTE: Customers requiring larger configurations should install the full enterprise version of RecordTS. Once installed on a server running Terminal Services or simply a Windows server or workstation with Remote Desktop/RemoteAdministration enabled, administrators will be able to record every thing users are doing during their sessions for later playback and/or archiving.
With this RecordTS Single Server Edition product you can:
- Track who is connected to the computer and see what they do on it
- View selected recordings for a specific user, during a specific time period, etc.
- Track users actions that might have caused problems on a server or workstation
- Save recorded sessions to a PostgreSQL Server database.
RecordTS Single Server Edition Main Features
- Security/Audit compliance
- Instead of looking at hundreds of entries in log files, RecordTS allows youto actually see everything that was done – as it happened, in real time.You can archive all recorded sessions for later playback, and in case of an audit it is just a matter of finding a particular session and watching!
- Developed for Terminal Services
- Although other similar solutions do exist in the market, RecordTS is the first and only solution that works directly at the protocol level (RDP andICA). This means increased performance and scalability, with much smaller recordings, nothing is missed. The users have no clue that their sessions are being recorded.
- Per user session recording
- Recorded sessions are saved individually on a per user basis.Recordings are stored in a database for later retrieval and replay.
How does RecordTS work?
- RecordTS installs locally on the Terminal Server intercepting all traffic through the RDP port 3389. It acts as a man-in-the-middle software service, passing RDP session traffic between the client and the host.Once intercepted, the RDP session stream is stored to a SQL database. As RecordTS was developed from the ground up specifically for TerminalServices, this process does not affect your Terminal Server performance, scaling easily once more users and/or servers are added to the system.
- Below is a schematic diagram of the Single Server Edition configuration for RecordTS v3.
- The basic component of RecordTS is the Recording Service or Recorder. Its main job is to record user sessions and store the recording video to a database. From the time RecordTS Recorder is installed and properly configured on the server or workstation, each user session will be recorded and saved to a database in the native RecordTS video format. Recorded sessions will contain additional information about each session such as computer name, IP address, user name, connection time and duration, etc. For each individual user, recorded sessions are stored separately in the database.The recorded sessions can be viewed or played as a video using theRecordTS WebPlayer.
- The RecordTS recorders stream session data to a central database for safe keeping. Sessions can be played back immediately once a user’s session has been established. This allows real-time viewing of session activity and does not require the user to log off to view their session.
- For RecordTS_v3_-_Single_Server_Edition, the database engine, PostgreSQL_v9 (with appropriate ODBC database drivers) will be installed automatically. Session recording can be buffered in case the database becomes temporarily unavailable, slows down or the network becomes unstable, etc. Once connectivity to the database is restored, buffered session data will be dumped to the database and normal operation will continue. If connectivity to the database is disrupted for extended periods of time, the buffers may fill completely and sessions will be suspended until connectivity to the database is restored.
- For all users installing the software:
- Download the product software and store to a convenient location.
- You will need a Windows 2008R2 or higher server-grade machine to install RecordTS, preferably with the latest updates installed, with at least 4gig of RAM and 100gig of drive space. Storage requirements are dictated by the database, so plan accordingly.
- At least one other Windows machine that can log in remotely to the RecordTS machine. (act as a remote desktop client)
- A domain or system admin account (or equiv) that has access to all machines in the test.
- Active Directory is not required for RecordTS Single ServerEdition.
- Certain programs such as antivirus and backup software can interfere with the proper installation and operation of RecordTS software, especially the recorders. It is strongly recommended to completely disable these programs on the recorded machine prior to installation. The antivirus and backup programs should be configured to ignore theRecordTS working folders and the RecordTS program processes if they are to be enabled after installation.
NOTE: RecordTS Single Server Edition is intended to record only ONE server or workstation. If you intend on recording more than one machine, then this version is probably not for you. Consider using one of the other RecordTS products for this purpose.
- Recorded sessions are stored in the database and are listed in theConfiguration under the Sessions tab.
In the diagram above, there are six sessions listed. The start and end times are listed for each session, along with the user name, domain and the client machine name. The first session does not have an end date and time because it is still connected and being recorded.The session host is the name of the machine being recorded. In other versions of RecordTS, the session host may list other machines, but in the Single Server Edition only one machine will always be listed. TheData size column shows the size of each session as it is stored in the database. The total disk space used in the database is listed at the bottom of the page. The Play link will start the RecordTS WebPlayer in a new tab to view the corresponding session on the same line.
Playing Back Recorded Sessions
- Selecting the Play link located next to a session listed in Dashboard will start the RecordTS WebPlayer in a new browser tab and start playing the selected session.
- You can navigate by using the red slider bar at the top to move through the video. The Zoom buttons (+/-) allow magnification of the video. You can pause the video by clicking on the || button. To end viewing, simply close the tab.
So, for the question,
Please reconfirm for the license description “RecordTS v3 Single Server Edition
include 1 Recorder and 25 Concurrent” do this mean the 1 server can do recording for all the 25 users concurrently?
The answer is yes.