Nessus Professional system requirements depend on the hardware type and usage scenario, but you can use the following as the guideline.
In general, Nessus is make use of client/server architecture. It is server portion perform the scanning operation, by using web access client thru browser interaction.
The following hardware recommendations for Tenable products are to be used as a general guide. Enterprise networks can vary in performance, capacity, protocols, and overall activity. Resource requirements to consider for deployments include raw network speed, the size of the network being monitored, and the configuration of the application. Processors, memory, and network cards will be heavily based on the former. Disk space requirements will vary depending on usage based on the amount and length of time data is stored on the system.
The following lists the minimum software requirements for Tenable products.
Nessus software requirements
Operating System Support
Nessus is available and supported for a variety of operating systems and platforms:
- Debian 6 and 7 / Kali Linux (i386 and x86-64)
- Fedora 20 and 21 (x86-64)
- FreeBSD 10 (x86-64)
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, and 10.10 (x86-64)
- Red Hat ES 5 / CentOS 5 / Oracle Linux 5 (i386 and x86-64)
- Red Hat ES 6 / CentOS 6 / Oracle Linux 6 (i386 and x86-64) [Server, Desktop, Workstation]
- Red Hat ES 7 / CentOS 7 / Oracle Linux 7 (x86-64) [Server, Desktop, Workstation]
- SUSE 10 (x86-64) and 11 (i386 and x86-64)
- Ubuntu 10.04 (9.10 package), 11.10, 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, 13.10, and 14.04 (i386 and x86- 64)
- Windows Server 2008, Server 2008 R2*, Server 2012, Server 2012 R2 (x86-64)
- Windows 7 and 8 (i386 and x86-64)
Before installing Nessus on Unix/Linux, there are several libraries that are required. Many operating systems install these by default and typically do not require separate installation:
- GNU C Library (i.e., libc)
- Oracle Java (for PDF reporting only)
For increased performance and scan reliability, it is highly recommended that Nessus Windows be installed on a server product from the Microsoft Windows family such as Windows Server 2008 R2.