Maltego version 2 has been tested on Windows XP/Vista and Linux (various distributions). As Maltego is purely Java based it should work on almost any operating system.
Because operating systems differ care has been taken to use an Install Shield (Izpack) that takes of differences between these systems.
Bottom line: Windows XP or Vista and Linux works fine, others should work too, but you might need someone more technical to assist you. Mac users see ‘Software requirements’ below.
Maltego uses Java version 6 (1.6) which is available for most popular operating systems. Maltego v2 will not function correctly with version 5 (1.5). The Maltego installer will not install or upgrade your system to Java 1.6, but this should be a painless procedure. This
Note to Mac users – Java 6 is not officially available for Macs yet. However – a preview of Java 6 can be downloaded here. When version 6 is officially supported we will begin doing testing on it. If you have trouble installing Java 6 then you should ask someone technical to provide you with assistance.
Bottom line: You need Java 1.6 and you need to install it yourself…but – it’s easy to install. Technical Mac users should give it a try (you can get it work) but it’s not official supported.
Install Maltego on OSX 10.5.
Maltego loves memory and raw CPU power. Rendering views take a lot of computing power and the slower your computer, the longer it will take. If your computer is under-powered this can become frustrating, but things won’t break. If you plan to work on large graphs you’ll also need some memory. Maltego version 2 is configured to use 512MB of RAM, but if that is all you have your OS and other apps will have nothing left to work with. We thus recommend at least 1GB of RAM, but the more the merrier. You also need a link to the Internet if you want to use the Paterva TAS (and for registration). Almost all the data collection and processing happens on the server but the results still need to get to your computer. A fast Internet link makes Maltego work faster. Lastly, if you ever needed a reason to get a big screen you now have it. Maltego also loves big displays. Running it in 1024×768 just wouldnt feel right – but you can do it if you really have to.
Bottom line: Minimum (ouch): 1GB RAM, 1.8GHz, 64Kb Internet access, 1024×768 display. Recommended: 4GB RAM, 3.0GHz dual core, 1Mb+ Internet access, 1600×1200 display.
For customer who purchase with dedicate commercial maltego server (separate license required on top of maltego licensing) for run in own private environment and do not share with the rest of users.
- The Maltego server prefers to run on Linux – any distribution really. It can run on Windows if it *really* has to. It will most likely also run on *BSD systems.
- If you want to prepare and install your own TAS you’ll need:
- Apache web server with mod_jk for pass through to Tomcat
- Tomcat web server to host the transforms
- Java 1.6
- Squid for saving you bandwidth
- Ruby with Ruby gems, PHP and PERL for some of the non-integrated web services and management interfaces
- A couple of PERL CPAN modules
- SSL for remote management
- IPchains or something similar to keep the network tied down
- MediaWiki for integrated help (and these pages)
- Miminum: 1GB RAM, 2GHz CPU, 1Mb Internet access
- Recommended: 4GB RAM, 3GHz dual core, >4Mb Internet access