When it comes to digital transformation, technology platform and architecture changes are crucial considerations for all companies, regardless of their size. This is because the choice of technology platform and architecture can have a significant impact on the success of a digital transformation initiative. It’s important to note that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to technology platform and architecture changes, as what may be suitable for one context or use case may not be suitable for another.
When considering technology platforms and architectures, there are a variety of options to choose from. Physical servers, virtual machines, and containers all have their place and can be the right choice depending on the use case. It’s not always necessary to follow the latest trends, but it’s important to understand the pros and cons of each technology platform and architecture and how they relate to your specific use case.
Despite the increasing trend towards cloud-based solutions, physical hardware still has an important role to play in certain industries and onsite scenarios. This is particularly true for IoT devices that need to serve remote locations. Virtual machines, which can be implemented via full-virtualisation, para-virtualisation, and OS-level virtualisation, have their respective use cases as well. Containers, with their smaller image size, are a good option for running multiple instances of an application on a single physical host, and they are becoming increasingly popular due to the growing emphasis on cloud technology.
However, it’s worth noting that virtual machines are still the go-to choice for critical enterprise assets such as databases. They are practical for most production use cases, while containers are more suited for quick deployment and testing due to their speed in setting up and running.
With modern bandwidth capabilities through broadband and 5G, and whatever is to come as the next generation, self-hosted options can be a viable choice over cloud hosting, as long as you know what is required to ensure smooth operations. It’s essential to understand what you are doing and what you expect in terms of reasonable running costs over a specific period of time. Moreover, it’s worth highlighting that not all enterprise applications are suitable for public access or cloud hosting, and some are better off being self-hosted. Therefore, understanding all the available technologies and determining the best use case for each technology platform and architecture is critical before making any decisions.
Here are a few tips and recommendations to consider when adopting new technology platforms and architectures:
- Start with a clear vision: Before embarking on any digital transformation initiative, it’s essential to have a clear vision of what you want to achieve. This includes understanding your current systems and identifying areas for improvement. Having a well-defined vision will help you select the right technology platforms and architectures that align with your goals.
- Understand the tradeoffs: When choosing between different technology platforms and architectures, it’s important to understand the tradeoffs. While one technology may offer better performance, it may also come with higher costs or increased complexity. It’s important to weigh the pros and cons of each option and select the one that best aligns with your organization’s goals and resources.
- Consider scalability: When adopting new technology platforms and architectures, it’s essential to consider scalability. Can the technology scale with your organization’s growth? Will it be able to handle increased demand in the future? It’s important to select technology that can accommodate future growth and expansion.
- Invest in training and education: Adopting new technology platforms and architectures can be complex, and it’s important to invest in training and education for your team. This will help ensure that your team has the necessary skills and knowledge to manage and maintain the new technology.
- Test and iterate: It’s important to test and iterate as you adopt new technology platforms and architectures. Start with a small pilot program and gather feedback from your team before scaling up. This will help you identify and address any issues before they become larger problems.
Overall, adopting new technology platforms and architectures can be challenging, but with the right approach, it can help drive innovation and growth in your organization. By starting with a clear vision, understanding the tradeoffs, considering scalability, investing in training and education, and testing and iterating, you can set your organization up for success.
E-SPIN Group is a leading provider of enterprise ICT solutions and value-added services. We specialize in providing customized end-to-end solutions that meet the specific needs and requirements of our clients. Our services include consultancy, supply, integration, project management, training, and maintenance, all of which are designed to help organizations achieve their regulatory compliance goals and improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
Whether you need a customised solution for your entire organization or a point solution for a specific area of your business, E-SPIN Group has the expertise and experience to help. Contact us today to learn more about how we can assist with your organisation’s needs and requirements.
Other post you may be interested in:
- Digital Transformation in the Next-Normal for scale, scope and speed
- Preparing for the Age of AI and Digital Transformation: Opportunities and Threats for Business Leaders
- The Urgency of Digital Transformation: Embrace Change or Face Extinction
- Why most of the enterprise fail in digital transformation
- Pursue Infrastructure-Led Disruption Effects for Digital Transformation